Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Banana Cashew Muffins


Everyone has a tried and true banana bread/muffin/loaf recipe for the days when its too ripe to peel and snarf down...although I don't think I would do that even if they were just right ripe. After my disastrous lemon cupcake failure, I decided to give the basic muffin a try.

As usual, I fired up Google and this time tried to find a recipe that sounded legit. I found a recipe here at My Baking Addiction which seemed pretty foolproof and added some roasted cashews to the batter and sprinkled some on top (I made some plain too). I skipped out on the crumb coating though because I didn't have brown sugar on hand and didn't think it was wise to improvise...refer to aforementioned baking failure.

So recipe in hand I was off to the trenches. As usual I stumbled my way through figuring out what worked and what didn't. The first thing I learned; it makes life MUCH easier if you cut up the bananas into smaller pieces before you attempt to beat them with your puny little hand mixer. Common sense is not my forte.....moving on. Lesson number two: cashews are big...chop them up a little before throwing them in the batter.

The batch came out pretty good. In fact, compared to the lemon cupcakes, the muffins were a huge success. The next time I make them though, I would probably wait till the bananas get more ripe. I had to use them when they were still edible because bananas are like gold in my house. So I had to hide them and invent all kinds of ways to prevent them from being eaten before I can make muffins out of them. I would probably also add a little less baking soda. My mom mentioned that they had a slight sour taste to them which is because of the baking soda. I personally couldn't taste anything but my mom has super senses (radioactive spider incident) so I'm just going to trust her on this one.

All in all, I think this recipe was amazing. The muffin was moist, almost like cake and it tasted good. It wasn't as dry as some store bought muffins are. So on that happy note, all I can say is....on to the next one ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment