Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Return of the Cake Pop


Last week I had a cupcake project lined up for the upcoming Easter holiday. Unfortunately, things didn't turn out as planned and pretty soon I had 24 cupcakes that looked like a mini version of this disaster that had happened before. I'm starting to think that it's either the baking soda that I'm using, or my roommates are giants who stomp around and cause my cupcakes to deflate. Both are very plausible reasons.



Anyway, instead of throwing out a batch of cupcakes that looked terrible but tasted great, I was persuaded to turn them into cake pops.

Oh the dreaded cake pop.


The last time I made these, I had chocolate in my hair, a shake in my hand, and a crazy look in my eye.

Cake pops are not my most favourite thing to make. To be fair, I've only given them one try but that was enough for me to file the idea away and nervously laugh at trying it again.

Don't get me wrong. They're cute as a button. Looking up pics of other people's cake pops makes me want to try my own.


But then the horrible memories come flooding back.

The biggest problem I have is that it is So. Damn. Time. Consuming.

They're expensive, finicky, and take a huge set up too.

All for 5 minutes of a bite of cake.

Anyway....enough with my complaining.


This time around I used chocolate melts from Bulk Barn and I noticed that the chocolate cracked and oil oozed out of the crack. Not a cute look. They were easier to melt and work with though.

I spread out the work over a few days rather than trying to cram it all into one day which helps loads!

I also decided to add Nutella instead of buttercream icing to the cake crumbs which ups the yumminess factor but adds to the weight of each cake pop.


Although I don't like making them (and did I mention all the dishes I needed to wash?) they are definitely cute and can make for really cute designs. I'm going to keep working on them and trying to figure out a method that works best for me. When I do, I'll do an in depth tutorial called 'The Idiot's Guide to Cheap Easy and Cute Cake Pops'.


Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment