Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Spongecake with Whipped Cream and Strawberries

I am not a fan of eating heavy cake. That being said, all the cake I have eaten in my life have been heavy and sweet. I don't really remember ever trying sponge cake or angel food cake. Come out from under the rock you say? Why yes...yes I will.

So not only am I an amateur baker but also an amateur cake eater. My family is pretty small, parents and one sister. My mother doesn't like sweets. My dad loves sweets but only particular ethnic ones. My sister also doesn't have much of a sweet tooth. Not much exposure to desserts happening in this household.

Even though I'm skipping a bajillion steps (are there even steps to these things) by not mastering a basic cake and slowly moving up, I decided what they hey...it's summer...I don't have a gallbladder...might as well do something spontaneous.

I found a few sponge cake recipes and then realized I only had 2 eggs. I pared down a recipe I found to a few basic ingredients.

Ingrediants
2 eggs
3 oz granulated sugar which I ground to a powdery consistency
3 oz AP flour

Method
1. Start by beating the eggs until they are well blended.
2. Add in all of the sugar and beat until the colour of the batter goes from faint yellow to last pure white. The batter will thicken slightly but keep blending until it is white. The more you beat, the more air gets incorporated and the fluffier your cake.
3. Sift the flour into the batter. Fold it in gently. Do not beat.
4. Pour the batter into a greased and floured baking pan.
5. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Cake should be golden brown and bounce back at the touch. Don't open the oven door until you are ready to check your cake at the end. The cake will deflate if you open the door too much.

To frost the cake I made my whipped cream frosting and added some sliced strawberries.

The cake turned out pretty good. It was a bit dry but since this is a spongecake, I should have added a layer of jam in the middle of the cake. I compensated by drizzling my slice in chocolate sauce.

I would definitely make this cake again. This time I would probably add a layer of jam and whipped cream and strawberries in the middle by slicing the cake horizontally and then icing the whole thing in whipped cream frosting.


Let me know if this cake works out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment